• NFT trading volumes surged 704% to $10.67 billion in the third quarter of 2021, according to analytics platform DappRadar.
• The report listed two main factors for the recent NFT spike - (1) an increasing belief in the technology, and (2) the social status it gives investors in the cryptocurrency sector.
• Fun Fact: In-game items represented 22% of NFT trading volume. Some predict this play-to-earn metaverse could reach a $250 billion to $300 billion market cap by 2025.
• An autographed 1997-98 Upper Deck Game Jersey game-worn patch Michael Jordan card sold for $2.7 million at Goldin Auctions, setting a new record.
• The previous record holder at $2.1 million was the same MJ card, but differently numbered and PSA graded.
• Fun Fact: The jersey patch on the card is game-worn from the 1992 NBA All-Star Game, known as Magic Johnson’s farewell game.
• Logan Paul has been a boxer, YouTuber, Pokémon card collector, and now is an NFT creator with his latest project, CryptoZoo.
• Paul credits Gary Vaynerchuk for getting him involved in the Pokémon and NFT space, when Vaynerchuk encouraged him in August 2020 to invest in sports cards.
• Fun Fact: Logan Paul is also a big NFT collector and even spent $155,00 on two rock NFTs just because he wanted to be part of its history.
• This week in the Otis Discord, we’re talking about: Otis listings, Chromie Squiggle, and more—join the conversation.
• Reminder! Our AMA with Otis Head of Supply, Leah Smith, is this afternoon (10/14), at 3pm ET. Learn about how qualified collectors can list their items on Otis and open them up to investment by the Otis community. RSVP here.
• A 1984 pair of Nike Air Ships worn by Michael Jordan could go for $1 to $1.5 million at Sotheby’s later this month. The game worn “Shattered Backboard” pair of Jordan 1’s is trading on Otis at a market cap of $525,000 as of trading close on 10/13.
• Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is adding rap to his list of accomplishments. A tribute to his NFL days is on Otis: a 1994 Miami Bumble Bee #8 BGS 9.5 Football Card, trading at a market cap of $26,061 as of trading close on 10/13.
• Another Bansky, Sunflowers From Petrol Station, is being sold by fashion designer Sir Paul Smith at Christie’s New York. Bansky’s Police Car, 2003, is trading on Otis at a market cap of $446,250 as of trading close on 10/13.
• The voice cast for the upcoming 2022 Super Mario Bros. movie reveals that the film will also include Nintendo franchise Donkey Kong. Chris Pratt, who will voice Mario, released a “first look” parody this week. Super Mario Bros. (Wata 9.4, A+ Sealed, NES), is trading on Otis at a market cap of $380,240 as of trading close on 10/13.
We have three articles up at Otis Magazine this week.
First, find out everything that happened on Otis last month, including, the top risers, the top fallers, and buyout offers.
Then, we step back and consider all the recent developments in the collectible video game market, and think about how auctions, past and future, will factor into the space.
Finally, some cool trading card stores worth a browse.
New drops open every week for as little as $1/share. Subscribe to stay updated.